I have been lagging a little in getting these posts up when I am done each book I read. However, this is one gets me up to date! Yay!
Song of the Beast is a good solid fantasy book. It is not spectacular, it doesn't break any new ground, none of the ideas are particularly earth shattering, but it works really well. I have previously read Berg's Bridge of D'Arnath and Rai-kirah - Derzhi Empire series, and I believe that though it was published more recently, Song of the Beast is one of her earlier works. Indeed, some of the bones of the story (or at least a few ideas) seem very similar to Transformation, her first Rai-kirah book (and one of the favorite fantasy books I have read in the last year or so). I knew this going in, so was pleasantly surprised to find that the book is not just a pre-hashing of Berg's earlier works.
Though not as good as the Rai-kirah series, this is a definitely a recommended read for any fantasy lover, and a good introduction to Carol Berg (being a stand-alone novel).
7.8 out of 10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment